Girl Scouts across Florida are banding together to help our communities recover from Hurricane Ian that hit the West coast of Florida this past September. During a natural disaster like Hurricane Ian, Girl Scouts courageously step up to help others in their community and beyond. Everything that Girl Scouts teaches and stands for, prepares us for moments like these. Through unimaginable hardships, Girl Scouts strive to make a difference and make the world a better place.
How Girl Scouts Can Help
As Girl Scouts, we are resilient community problem-solvers who make the world a better place. If you’re wondering how your Girl Scouts can help those impacted by the hurricane, GSSEF alongside our sister councils across Florida invite you to join the Hurricane Ian Action Team and earn a patch by helping in the recovery effort.
Join the Hurricane Ian Action Team
Take action with recovery efforts from Hurricane Ian and then fill out the Hurricane Ian Action Team Story Form to share the impact you made for others. Include photos or video that we can use to highlight your efforts. Within a month of submitting your story, Girl Scouts of West Central Florida will send a 2022 Hurricane Ian Action Team Patch at no cost to you or your Girl Scouts.
We will have more information in the near future about how we can help Girl Scouts of Gulfcoast, which experienced the most devastating impact from the hurricane.
Here are some local ideas for your Girl Scout:
- Peggy Adams Animal Rescue League: They are in need of supplies to care for 57 cats and dogs from the Gulf Coast. View their Amazon wish list to learn more.
- Food for the Poor: In need of supplies to create cleaning kits to send to communities pummeled by Hurricane Ian. View their Amazon wish list to learn more.
- Donations are also being accepted in person at Food for the Poor headquarters in Coconut Creek, Florida.
- Children’s Home Society of Florida: In need of supplies to support the west coast and central Florida community. Girl Scouts can donate and view drop off locations on their website.
- Feeding South Florida: In need to supplies to support clean water and ready-to-eat meals for victims of Hurricane Ian.
- Baer’s Furniture: In need of supplies to support the west coast community. Girl Scouts can donate to any local Baer’s showroom or distribution warehouse.