It’s just about that time of year again. That time we pay extra attention to the weather report on the news and keep a watchful eye on storms forming in the middle of the ocean hoping they don’t threaten to head our way. That’s right, hurricane season is upon us and the time to get prepared is now!
Not only can you get to work making your home and family safer this season in the event that a hurricane lands on our shores, but you can work with your Girl Scout to increase her knowledge about storm safety and take action by earning the GSSEF council’s own badge, Storm Ready.
By earning the Storm Ready badge, your Girl Scout will gain knowledge in emergency preparedness for the natural disasters she may encounter in our area such as hurricanes, tornadoes, and floods by completing various hands-on activities and a take action project. For more information about how to earn this badge, you can find it all here.
Here are also some general storm preparedness tips that you and your girl can start focusing on to get storm ready right away!
- Prepare your emergency water supply
- Have 5 gallons of water per person
- Gather clean containers for water
- Get supplies to make your drinking water safe such as iodine tablets and chlorine bleach
- Prepare your emergency food and medicine supply
- Gather 3 to 5 days worth of non-perishable food items (such as canned goods) per person in your household
- Make sure to have enough baby food or formula for 3 to 5 days if needed
- Gather any prescription medicines and ensure they are refilled before the storm hits
- Gather safety items
- Fire extinguisher
- First aid kit
- Battery-powered radio
- Extra batteries
- Gather personal care items
- Hand sanitizer
- Wet cleansing wipes in case you do not have access to running water
- Tampons and pads
- Create a family emergency plan
For more tips to prepare your family and your home in the event a storm does head our way this hurricane season, click here!